DRAGON Ignitor System
The DRAGON Ignitor System was developed to get around the inherent problems of semi permanent firing wire/cotton ignition systems, these being:
- Deterioration of the firing wire from exposure to the heat and corrosive effects of the sample combusting in its vicinity.
- Time spent knotting the piece of cotton onto the firing wire.
- Misfires that can result if a drop of water falls onto the cotton.
The DRAGON Ignitor System comprises:
- A specially formed firing wite is located inside a cell mounted above the sample in its crucible. The cell thus protects the wire from deterioration due to the heat of sample combustion.
- A special dispenser is used to place a minute drop of a carefully formulated inflammable liquid into the Ignitor Cell.
- Following ignition, the drop of liquid falls, while burning, onto the sample below, igniting it in turn.